Although the chlorination of drinking water eliminates microorganisms and does not generally cause harmful effects in small amounts, this practice has been linked to some bothersome, and potentially harmful, long-term health concerns. Even if you do not drink chlorinated tap water, it is absorbed into your body during bathing and can make your skin dry and uncomfortable. Keep reading to learn more about chlorine in your tap water and how a home water filtration system from Plumbing Outfitters can help.
Harmful Effects of Consuming Chlorine in Drinking Water
Most people will not see any immediate negative effects of drinking chlorinated water. In time, however, the effects can show up in a variety of different ways:
- Skin irritation: Skin, eye, and stomach irritation can occur in individuals susceptible to these effects after bathing in chlorinated water, similar to the effects of going in a swimming pool.
- Food allergies: A recent study showed that dichlorophenol, which are used in the process of water chlorination, can contribute to food allergies.
- Asthma symptoms: Swimmers have been known to develop exercise-related asthma attributable to chlorine in swimming pools. But even bathing or showering in chlorinated water could induce respiratory problems in certain sensitive individuals.
- Link to bladder and colon cancer: Studies have indicated a link between trihalomethanes in chlorinated water and some bladder and rectal cancers in the United States.
- Harm to pets: Chlorinated water can kill fish, reptiles, and other aquatic animals, as they absorb chlorine directly through their skin.
Benefits of an Advanced Water Filtration System
The best way to alleviate concerns about the health risks of chlorinated tap water is to consider installing a water filtration system. The following additional benefits are:
- Toxin removal: Not only can a water filtration system remove chlorine, it is also capable of removing other toxins while preserving mineral deposits.
- Clean, odor-free water: Chlorinated water can have an unpleasant taste or smell. Filtered water tastes better, and those with water filters are more likely to consume more water than sugary or caffeinated drinks.
- Cost-effective: In general, customers typically save up to 50 percent more money using a home drinking water system than if they use a water delivery company.
- Smoother hair and skin: Chlorine can dry both hair and skin. Filtered water leads to less skin itchiness and shinier, softer hair.
- Pipe health: Removing minerals helps preserve the life of the pipes in your home. Since water is purified before it reaches your pipes and appliances, clogs can be prevented, pipes preserved, and home maintenance costs lowered.
- Environmentally friendly: Customers no longer have to buy single-use plastic water bottles or jugs that often end up in landfills.
Contact Plumbing Outfitters
If you are interested in investing in a water filtration system that provides your home with clean drinking water for years to come, the professionals at Plumbing Outfitters would be happy to help. Call us today for an estimate.